Since our world came into existence, human beings are striving for improvement. From telephones to smart phones, steam locomotives to bullet trains, Pascal’s calculator to supercomputers, and the technologies have transformed and keep on getting better.
The 21st-century business world is extremely competitive, and the E-commerce is further intensifying it. Only those companies can survive that keep on improving their services, productivity and work on new innovative ways to maximize their cost efficiency. The key to uninterrupted business activities is in-time data availability. So elevate the security of digital data and preserve it as long as it is essential.
- The most effective strategy is to place all sensitive data backed up on zipping drives, DVD media, backup tapes or any other medium in locked cabinets.
- Employees’ access to these datasets should be carefully monitored and maintain a proper record of all activities.
- Only the authorized personnel should be handed over the keys to the file cabinets and media storage rooms.
General Electronic Security
- Identify the servers/workstations where sensitive business data is preserved.
- Connections to your mission critical systems also require robust protection. This includes tablets, Smartphones, workstations, the internet and other wireless devices.
- The vulnerability of each network connection must be evaluated. Devise a strategy to overcome the foreseeable threats.
- Encrypt the files that need to be transferred over public networks.
- Also, consider encrypting sensitive data files on the portable storage devices.
- Make sure that anti-spyware and anti-viruses are regularly updated on each system of your network.
- Don’t allow your staff members to download unauthorized apps/software.
- Secure connectivity options like SSL (Secure Socket Layer) must be used to send/receive the valuable information.
- Regularly scans the computers and remove unnecessary software/close ports.
- It is the ideal solution for blocking hackers. So they cannot easily break into your system.
- Border firewall is a smart option to secure company-wide network.
- Through access control, you can apply restrictions and allow only legitimate staff members to view, retrieve, delete or alter the data.
- For highly sensitive systems, the IT managers can enhance their security by installing additional firewalls.
- Protect the data with “strong” password.
- Longer passwords featuring special characters and number are a smart option, as they cannot be guessed easily.
- The passwords should be frequently changed.
- Password attempts should be defined. If the employee exceeds this limit, his/her account should be blocked.
- These passwords should not be revealed to anyone else.
- Do not use the default passwords of software.
Remote And Wireless Access
- Limit the wireless connections and intensify the restrictions.
- Stored digital data can also be encrypted as the unauthorized person won’t be able to read your content.
- Moreover, encryption is the best tool against spoofing (an imposter gaining access to your system).